N.Y. (WVLT/CNN) -- A three-year-old boy died at school after having an allergic reaction to a grilled cheese sandwich.
According to CNN, three-year-old Elijah Silvera went into anaphylactic shock after eating a grilled cheese sandwich at a preschool in Harlem.
Elijah was severely allergic to dairy, and he later died at Harlem Hospital.
According to the child's parents, the school was told that Elijah was allergic to dairy.
The New York City Health Department closed the preschool until further notice and, as of Thursday, was actively investigating what happened and if anything could have prevented the tragedy.
The family started a GoFundMe page to raise money for "FARE," Food Allergy Research & Education, an organization that works with the food allergy community.
As of Friday evening, the family had raised $48,087
We are deeply saddened by the tragic death of 3-year-old Elijah Silvera and are actively investigating all aspects of this EarlyLearn program, along w/ @nycHealthy. In the meantime, @nychealthy has closed the Center for Family Services & is continuing to aggressively investigate. https://t.co/ZI4G3Kg7e3— NYC ACS (@ACSNYC) November 9, 2017