NEW MARKET, Tenn. (WVLT) -- The New Market Fire and Rescue Team responded to reports of a trailer fire on West Highway 11 East at 7:50 p.m. Friday.
The fire was under control at 8:02 p.m., Captain Sammy Solomon said.
A crew of 15 men, a tanker, two engines, a mini pumper and a support vehicle were on scene to extinguish the fire.
Captain Solomon told Local 8 News one woman was inside the home when the fire spread. Her two-year-old son was with a babysitter at the time.
Solomon said the woman had placed a candle or some sort of item that was meant to be heated to produce a smell on top of the stove before she went to shower. When she exited the shower, a fire had begun on the stove.
Solomon said the woman attempted to extinguish the flames with water, which caused the fire to spread up the curtains and throughout the kitchen.
The fire was contained to the kitchen, but Solomon said the rest of the residence sustained smoke and water damage that would not allow the woman to remain in the home.
Solomon said the American Red Cross had reported a support team had been dispatched to help the woman and her son.