Sex offender found at home where toddler almost drowned

By: Mario Boone Email
By: Mario Boone Email

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- UPDATE: Two year old Aiden Martin, was brought back from the brink of death for the second time in his young life. It's a remarkable story of survival, rivaled only by the bizarre nature of his near drowning again in the very same pool, in less than a year.

And again investigators zeroed in on Aiden's babysitter, Jennifer Kitts, who wasn't charged the first time. I discovered Kitts operates an unlicensed daycare, which seems to be perfectly legal.

"You can have up to four children who are not your own, and babysit them, and not need a license," said Rob Johnson of the Tennessee Department of Children Services.

Apparently Kitts followed this guideline. But that didn't stop DCS from taking quick action this time around, removing Kitts' own three children from her custody. "In an abundance of caution, we've asked that they go stay with a relative while we look into this situation. And we've asked that there be no babysitting going on there for the time being," said Johnson.

While the city prays for Aiden, police sort through when and if anyone will face charges. "It's too early right now. We have a lot to do in our investigation," said Darrell DeBusk, spokesman for KPD.


KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Authorities continue to investigate a toddler's near-drowning in west Knoxville on Monday, but have arrested one man who was wanted for a violation of the sex offender registry.

Officers found Tony Jackson, 51, at the home where 2 year-old Aiden Martin almost drowned. He was taken into custody on an outstanding warrant from the Oak Ridge Police Dept.

Williams, who was pulled from the same Knoxville pool in December, is now in critical condition at the Children's Hospital. He is being treated by the same doctors who treated him following similar incident at the same home last December when Aiden almost drowned after falling through ice while staying with the same babysitter.

He was staying with his babysitter, Jennifer Kitts, when a maintenance worker pulled him out of pool just after 4:00pm.

That maintenance worker started to administer CPR until an officer arrived and took over. Aiden finally started breathing fully on his own after arriving at the hospital. The worker believes Aiden must have walked out an open door and climbed into the pool.

Investigators have questioned both Kitts and the maintenance worker and have contacted the Department of Children's Services. Meanwhile, Kitts has handed over custody of her three kids to a relative and has stopped babysitting while the investigation continues.

They do not expect for charges to be filed until the case is turned over to the grand jury.

Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus


6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 127780958 -
Gray Television, Inc.