Chef Joseph Lowery from Auantisavoia
Available at avantisavoia.com *
• 1 pound Garofalo Spaghetti *
• 2 ounces Sosalt Coarse Salt* (for cooking the pasta)
• 5 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg
• 1 cup grated Pecorino cheese
• 5 ounces Pancetta, diced
• 4 Tablespoons Colonna Extra Virgin Olive Oil *
• Freshly ground black pepper * (to taste)
• Freshly grated nutmeg * (to taste)
• 2 Tablespoons of chopped chives for garnish
• Small amount of olive oil for frying sage leaves
• 3 or 4 fresh sage leaves per serving
1. In a big pot bring 1.5 gallons of water to a boil, salt the water (2 ounces of salt for 1.5 gallons of water) add the pasta and bring back to a boil. Lower the heat and cook the pasta until it is “al dente”, 8 to 10 minutes, stir occasionally with a wooden spoon.
2. Put the grated Pecorino cheese in a large bowl and add the 5 egg yolks, the whole egg, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil , freshly ground black pepper, (to taste) and freshly grated nutmeg (to taste). Stir vigorously with a whisk.
3. While the pasta cooks, put the diced bacon in a frying pan with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, cook until the bacon is crisp.
4. When pasta is cooked, drain it and put it in a big bowl, add the egg mixture and stir well; then add the hot fried bacon, stir well. This all must be done quickly, the heat from the pasta and bacon cooks the eggs and melts the cheese.
5. Heat the olive oil to approximately 325 degrees; add sage leaves to hot oil and fry until crisp but not burnt. It will only take a few seconds.
6. Garnish with the sage leaves and chopped chives and serve immediatel