Country Soup Beans Thursday, October 16, 2008
Mr. J. V. Waller
Union County Heritage Festival
1. Use either dried pinto beans or Great Northern Beans (or a combination)
2. Look through beans to remove gravel, trash and defective beans.
3. Wash beans with warm water and discard water.
4. Place beans in a suitable container (pot or large bowl), cover beans completely, plus 3 or 4 extra inches of water. Let soak overnight or for at least 8 hours. Beans will at least double in size. Discard water they were soaking in.
5. Put beans in a large cooking pot, cover with water, add salt to taste and a good chunk of salt pork. Cook for approximately 1 ½ or 2 hours or until tender. In the last 30 minutes of cooking, add ½ to 1 stick of butter, depending on the amount of beans.
6. Beans should be served piping hot in their juice with a slice of onion and a good sized piece of cornbread.