Pork Roulades with Spinach Friday, November 17, 2006
2 lbs. center cut pork loin
8oz. Fontina cheese cut into 2" logs
1-cup fresh baby spinach
1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup shallots
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3/4 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh basil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon honey
1. Trim off excess fat from pork loin
2. Slice loin into 1/2" thick portions (app. 3oz.)
3. Pound the meat between two pieces of plastic to an even transparent thickness. Try to avoid making holes or tears in the meat.
4. Arrange spinach and cheese in the center of the pork, leaving a 1" margin of meat around it. Wrap the bottom edge around the filling
5. Make sure the cheese is covered, then fold in the two sides to close.
6. Roll to the end of the cutlet seam side down.
7. Dredge your rolls in flour, place in sauté pan with olive oil, and brown on all sides. Remove from pan and add shallots, garlic, salt, and red pepper flakes. Sauté for a few minutes.
8. Deglaze the pan with the chicken broth, add your pork roulades, and cook for 15 minutes covered.