Knoxville (WVLT) - The Knoxville Police Department is offering up some tips for children to have a fun and safe Halloween.
*Clothing should be light-colored and short enough to prevent tripping and shoes should be comfortable and well fitted.
* Make sure your children can see well through facemasks.
* Try to trick-or-treat when it is still light outside. Carry a flashlight in case of delay.
* Stay within your neighborhood and only visit homes you know.
* A parent or an older brother or sister should accompany younger children.
* Children should not go into homes or apartments.
* Use sidewalks and obey traffic signals. Avoid walking in the street.
* Those who welcome visits should turn on their porch lights.
* Motorists should be alert for trick-or-treaters.
* Instruct children to accept only sealed treats and examine treats before allowing children to eat them.
* If you discover you have received treats that have been tampered with, try to determine where they came from and report the incident to the police.
* Parents should set up rules for children to follow and review them before the children are allowed to trick-or-treat.
The Department is again hosting their "Halloween in the City" to provide a safe alternative to door-to-door trick-or-treating.
Halloween in the City is on Wednesday, October 31 from 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Safety City, off Concord Street between Kingston Pike and Sutherland Avenue.
They will have food, drinks, a costume contest, a magician, and much more.
For more information, you can call (865) 215-7103.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.