Sevier County (WVLT) - A busy night Monday for firefighters in two counties. In Sevier County, one woman was flown by Lifestar to UT Medical Center after a cooking fire.
Volunteer TV's Mike McCarthy has the latest information.
Sevierville fire department tells us just after nine o'oclock the 911 center got a call of a grease fire in apartment 306 in the Meadows Apartments off Old Newport Highway.
A family member says Courtney Highley was cooking french fries when the grease caught on fire. Somehow the grease spilled down her legs, giving her second degree burns down her legs and feet.
Her downstairs neighbors say she grabbed her baby and ran to them for help.
"She was absolutely hysterical and panicked, screaming at the top of her lungs. In pain, and you know, she was begging for something, and Lisa was talking to her later while the paramedics were here, she said 'I don't want to die, I don't want to die,'" neighbor Carol Anderson said.
At last report, Highley was being evaluated in the ER at UT Medical Center.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.