Knoxville (WVLT) -- Many of us are decorating our homes for the holidays.
Here are some tips on just how to do it while keeping safety in mind.
The U.S. Consumer Safety Commission urges everyone to look for a way to eliminate all potential danger spots.
Many can lead to fires and injuries.
Each year hospital emergency rooms treat thousands of people for thinks like falls, cuts and electrical shocks.
In addition Christmas trees are linked to several hundred fires annually and don't forget your candles, never leave them unattended.
Here are a few holiday safety tips:
If you are buying an artificial tree, look for on that is fire resistant meaning the tree will resist burning and should extinguish quickly.
When buying a live tree, check for freshness.
On a fresh tree the needles are hard to pull from branches.
When bent between your fingers the needles do not break.
The trunk is sticky and when tapped on the ground, the trees should not lose many needles.
When you set up your tree, make sure to place it away from the fireplace and other heat sources.
Also remember that heated rooms dry trees out rapidly, so be sure to keep the stand filled with water.
Keep it out of traffic and do not block doorways.
Make sure the lights, whether indoors or out, have been tested for safety.
Check each for broken or cracked sockets or frayed wires.
Throw out damaged sets and use no more than three sets of lights per extension cord because it doesn't take long for a live Christmas tree to become fully engulfed in flames because of sparks from overloaded electrical outlets.