Protecting yourself from carbon monoxide poisoning

By: Jim Freeman
By: Jim Freeman

Knoxville (WVLT) The workers at last night's chemical leak were very fortunate.

Many times carbon monoxide kills with no warning at all.

Volunteer TV's Jim Freeman has more on how to protect your family at home.

Dubbed the silent killer, carbon monoxide has no smell, and symptoms are much like that of the flu.

And death can come fast.

Only a few dollars stand between keeping you and your family safe from carbon monoxide.

Andrew Rutter with Parker Brothers Hardware says, "the digital read out from $40 down to a starting price range of 24-99."

Captain Brent Seymour with the Knoxville Fire Department says, "if you have any type of gas fed appliance inside your home, you need to have a carbon monoxide detector."

Buying a little device can keep you safe from, as Robyn Belcher, a paramedic describes, "you would probably start off with signs of a headache. You may experience some stinging in your eyes. Start of shortness of breath."

Feeling faint, light headed or even dizzy.

And should you have such symptoms, pick up the phone.

Belcher says, "get out of the residence and call 911."

Cooler days have us hunting for heat, and our chances of encountering carbon monoxide also called C-O increase.

Belcher says, "happens more through the winter than it does through the summer due to people starting fireplaces, kerosene heaters, trying to warm up their cars in garages when the garage door's closed."

All the more reason to have a detector in your home.

When it comes to your carbon monoxide detector, read the instructions.

It lists places best to put it and places where you should not put it.

Among the best places: where you can hear the alarm from all sleeping areas.

In or near bedrooms and living areas or wherever you suspect CO exposure is likely.

And the National Fire Protection Association also suggests one carbon monoxide detector for each level of your home.

Whether you have a detector or not, ventilation is vital.

Belcher continues, "when you start using your kerosene heater and fireplace, make sure everything's well ventilated."


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 12437956 - local8now.com/a?a=12437956
Gray Television, Inc.