Knoxville (WVLT) -- A minor house fire in Lonsdale sent one man to the burn unit on Saturday night.
It happened around 7:30 AM.
Fire crews say when they arrived on the scene neighbors told them the home had been vacant for a long time and that they believed a homeless man was inside.
Crews battled through thick smoke and did find someone in the home.
He was rushed to UT Medical, placed on a ventilator and later transported to the Erlanger Medical Center in Chattanooga.
A Knoxville fire spokesman says though the home did not have electricity, an accident rather than arson is how it probably started.
"There’s not anything evident at this time,” said Brent Seymour of KFD. “Of course the investigation unit with a couple of investigators will return in the morning, to see if there’s anything there. There’s a good possibility that this may have been just a warming fire in the kitchen.”
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.