KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Knox County officials will hire a private contractor to put out fires burning in a sinkhole that was used as an illegal dump.
County crews were called off the job Thursday after it became apparent that larger equipment was needed.
County engineering director Bruce Wuethrich says he hopes work can resume on Monday.
Wuethrich says it's believed the pit -- about 40 feet deep -- doesn't contain anything but debris from demolished buildings, tree stumps, brush and concrete.
Carbon monoxide from underground fires had earlier forced evacuation of a half-dozen nearby homes, but levels of the gas have decreased.
Information from: The Knoxville News Sentinel, http://www.knoxnews.com
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.