Vols Face Arkansas At Home Wednesday & Georgia In Athens On Saturday ... BOTH Games Can Be Seen On CBS & Volunteer TV...
INTERVIEW OF COACH BRUCE PEARL BEFORE
ARKANSAS GAME AT HOME WEDNESDAY AND GAME AT GEORGIA SATURDAY:
1. How can the Vols improve their inside scoring touch leading into this week's SEC games?
A - "It's been a concern for us. Normally, a high percentage shot is from near the basket. Our inside players need to station themselves at a place where they want the ball. Then they need to take it to the rim. They need to not be afraid of getting fouled and finish it off. In the new Pratt Pavilion, we have the baskets available to work on our shooting, and we will address that in practice. There are several teams in the SEC that are among the leaders in shots blocked. That's one reason we have struggled."
2. How has Coach John Pelphrey improved the Arkansas team which comes here Wednesday, 8:00p est, CBS & Volunteer TV Thanks To Raycom Sports...
A - "He played under Rick Pitino and coached under Billy Donovan, so he's been associated with some of the best coaches in the country. They have one of the most talented front lines in college basketball. They have five guys on the front line who can play. This is a team that has seven seniors and was picked to win the Western Division."
3. Explain how you depend on defense to set the stage for victory when the offense is unproductive.
A - "Defense and rebounding win championships, and that is a focus for us. We are much improved defensively. Still, we lead the league in scoring. We have people worried about our free-throw shooting and about our offense. But being first in scoring is pretty good."
4. Comment on the development of teams that have not been rated SEC contenders.
A - "Last year Florida was clearly head-and-shoulders above everybody else in the SEC. This year the difference between top teams and the ones near the bottom isn't that great. There is parity in the league. As a result, Georgia and South Carolina are teams that have beaten Arkansas, a team that may be as talented as any in the league. And then we have LSU giving Tennessee a run for its money last Saturday."
5. With the Vols facing Georgia on the road Saturday 3:00p CBS & Volunteeer TV Thanks To Raycom Sports, how have the Bulldogs improved?
A "Georgia plays very well at home and always has. It's a team that is struggling a little bit right now, but Georgia has good inside-outside ability and is physical."
Story Courtesy: UT Sports Information