GATLINBURG, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevier County firefighters battled a fire at the Gatlinburg Summit Condos Wednesday morning. One building was destroyed.
The call came in around 6:00 a.m. about a fire at the condos at 1260 Ski View Drive. Firefighters worked for several hours to get the flames down.
Emergency workers rescued three people from the second floor of the building and are treating them for smoke inhalation.
"We had a successful rescue. We had a family of 3 that were rescued from a 2nd floor of the structure. We evaluated them but no injuries," said Gatlinburg Fire Chief Greg Miller.
The family had came to Gatlinburg from Georgia for a redirection on life. They got out with only the clothes on their back.
"Could only see about 2 feet in, it was just dark billowing smoke and so I closed it back and our fire alarm or smoke detector finally went off," said Benjamin Veal. "Firefighters were here pretty quick so we knocked out a window and were rescued safely. So we're really thankful."
Twelve units were damaged. Firefighters say they're still trying to figure out how much damage there is.
Investigators say the fire started in a lower unit where one man was cooking breakfast.
No one was hurt in the fire.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.