Lexington, KY (AP) -- A minor explosion at a University of Kentucky Engineering Lab Friday morning sent a student to the hospital for treatment of injuries and six other people were examined in the emergency room.
UK spokeswoman Kathy Johnson says the student was pouring nitric acid into a waste container and an explosion occurred when the acid came into contact with another substance. The student's identity and condition have not been released, but she reportedly suffered cuts.
The incident at a seventh-floor Anderson Hall Materials Engineering Lab occurred between 9:30 and ten o'clock this morning and is being called a "chemical reaction."
Johnson says the incident has resulted in closure of the seventh floor of the building until later today. She says the lab will be closed for the weekend.
A hazardous materials crew cleared the building of fumes.
Copyright 2006 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.