Knoxville (WVLT) - A Mechanicsville couple who lost all their belongings Thursday afternoon in a house fire are receiving shelter from the American Red Cross.
Janice Heaton was home alone about 4:30 when the fire started in a trash pile on her Mingle Street back porch. Heaton said she saw a small fire, but was unable to put out the flames because there's no water to her rented house.
The fire grew, and children playing across the street at the Westview Elementary School saw the flames. They ran to the burning house and got the resident out safely.
"They were over here playing, and my son seen the fire, and he went to let the lady know that the house was on fire, and... I don't know, cries," witness Alisa Neely said.
Fire fighters acted quickly to save homes on both sides of the burning house. One of those homes suffered heat damage. Fire investigators are trying to determine if the fire was intentionally set.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.