Vonore, Monroe County (WVLT) - Vonore Elementary will remain closed Thursday as a precaution after concerns arise over a possible gas leak.
Director of Schools Mitch Millsaps tells Volunteer TV News that several parents reported smelling gas as they dropped their children off at school today.
Millsaps says there is a gas pressure release valve at the front of the school that he believes is "burping" a little too much, and the school plans to replace it Wednesday.
Millsaps says hazardous materials crews have been to the school Wednesday and report the students are in no danger.
But, Millsaps says the school will close Thursday as a precaution to alleviate any concern in the community.
Tuesday, Vonore Elementary officials had to evacuate the building for about an hour while fire crews checked for a possible gas leak.
At the time, fire officials said it was a problem with the relighting of a boiler.
Stay with Volunteer TV for continued coverage of this story.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.