Knoxville (AP) -- A Mount Juliet family has filed a lawsuit over an anthrax hoax in Knoxville.
Derek and Linda Groton and their two year-old grandson checked into a Motel 6 earlier this month and were caught up in the hoax, mistakenly thinking their room was contaminated by anthrax. A hazardous materials team slid protective clothing through the door and told the Grotons to bathe and put on the suits.
The lawsuit filed by Knoxville attorney Mark Hartsoe claims the family waited in their room, devastated and believing they were going to die.
A housekeeper at the motel had found a note earlier in the room that read, "itchy, itchy, you've been exposed to anthrax."
Authorities said the motel manager Haven Gopal threw the note away, and later remembered it when the housekeeper went to the emergency room complaining of itchy and watery eyes. She later turned out to be fine.
The family sued motel operators and owners Accor North America, Haven Neal Investment Group LLC and Gopal.
Copyright 2007 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.