Fire at YMCA in Knoxville

Downtown Knoxville (WVLT) - Fire crews believe they know what started at the YMCA in Downtown Knoxville.

The fire started at about 3:00am Friday morning at the building on Clinch Avenue.

Luckily, the fire department is just a few blocks away and crews were able to get to the fire fairly quickly.

Investigators say the fire started in the sauna room.

They were able to contain the flames to that room and say there is just some smoke damage in other areas.

Darrell Whitaker with the Knoxville Fire Department says they believe a problem with electrical wiring started the fire.

"We do know they're in the process of remodeling so the potential there's an electrical problem short is very high," said Whitaker.

No one was inside when the fire started.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 7219866