Knoxville (WVLT) - The roof a West Knoxville home bursts into flames, and the fire department says lightning could've sparked the fire.
Volunteer TV was the first on the scene when fire trucks arrived in the Gettysvue subdivision at 1201 Apaloosa drive around 6:30 Friday evening. That's in the polo club part of Gettysvue.
Flames shot from the attic and smoke poured from the rest of the roof.
KFD says most of the roof sustained the most damage.
Firefighters aren't for sure yet, but they say lightning from storms that passed through just before the 911 call could be cause. However, neighbors say, there's no doubt in their mind that it was lightning.
"And it exploded, and I about jumped out of my skin, and I even told my mother-in-law, who's 80, you have a good heart because she didn't jump at all, but I thought I was going to have a heart attack," neighbor Susan Miller said.
No one was home during the fire.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.