Police Identify Slain Suspect; Was Armed When Shot

By  | 

Maryville, Blount County (WVLT) - The Nightwatch was first to tell you about a police shooting in Maryville Thursday night.

Volunteer TV's Kim Bedford has new information about the teenager killed, the officers involved, and the confrontation that prompted them to open fire.

Around nine o'clock Thursday night, an unexpected customer walks into the CVS on Foothills Mall Drive.

"He had approached the manager of the store, told the manager that he wanted all the Oxycontin and hydrocodone that they had," Maryville Police Chief Tony Crisp said.

Maryville Police Chief Tony Crisp says 18-year-old Daniel Pfeffer was wearing a ball cap with a blue bandanna covering his face.

"The suspect was armed with several knives and a hatchet, and he had displayed the knife in a threatening manner to the store manager and other employees," Crisp said.

The manager walked Pfeffer back to the pharmacy, while another clerk called 911, pretending she was ordering the prescription drugs.

"Less than a minute, we had the first officer on the scene," Crisp said.

That was Maryville police officer Ronnie Pryor and about 45 seconds later, officer D.J. Porter arrived.

"Immediately when he arrived, there were some witnesses who were customers in the store, very frantically began to motion and point toward the back of the store," Crisp said.

Chief Crisp says when the officers spotted Pfeffer, he darted for the front exit.

"They ordered him to halt. He refused. He started running. He ran toward the front of the store," Crisp said.

But for some reason, the teenager decided to stop.

"He made about two steps out the door, just turns around, does a 360 and comes back in the store and is pulling a knife out of his nylon bag," Crisp said.

That's when Crisp says officer Pryor fired two rounds at Pfeffer and officer Porter fired another.

"They were acting in accordance with policies and procedures of the Maryville Police Department based on the training," Crisp said.

Officer Pryor has been with Maryville Police for more than 18 years. Officer Porter, for a little more than a year.

Both men are on paid administrative leave until the investigation is complete. Preliminary autopsy results should be available Saturday.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus