Knoxville (WVLT) - A warrant has been issued for Jason Stanke, the man convicted of leaving the scene of an accident that killed a college student last year.
28-year-old Stanke was found guilty in may in connection with last September’s death of 20-year-old Morgan McCarty.
Friday, Stanke was set to be sentenced, but he didn't show up for court.
His attorney, Bill Talman says he does not know where his client is.
"He was supposed to be here today, it's just a formality, it's pretty much just sentencing, he's essentially served the sentence, so there's not much more the court can do to him, other than just sentence him. At this stage, by not showing up, they can pick him up and hold him in jail, process him and he could actually get a few more months, simply by going through the legal process,” says Talman.
Stanke faces a maximum sentence of two years as well as probation, when he goes back before the judge.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.