UPDATE: Two Men Arrested in Scott County Fatal Fire

By: Natalie Greathouse
By: Natalie Greathouse

Scott County (WVLT)- Two neighbors are in jail tonight.

Each is charged with first degree murder and arson involving another neighbor's wife and home.

39 year old Gary Sellers and 37 year old Robert Bell, both of Helenwood, were arrested this morning by Scott County Sheriff's Detectives and Tennessee Arson and Bomb Agents.

The two live in the Tunnel Hill area near Oneida and are charged with arson and first degree murder in the death of Melissa Chandler.

Chandler died from injuries suffered when her home burned early Sunday morning.

Sheriff Anthony Lay says another neighbor provided the key clue.

"Observed a red pick-up truck with a very loud pipe on it that was our clue to get us looking for some suspects."

Sellers and Bell are each under a $1 million dollar bond.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Join the Conversation!

While WVLT allows comments on articles, we ask that you respect the online community. Comments may be removed at any time for violations including:

  • Obscenity, profanity, vulgarity, racism, violent descriptions, name-calling or personal attacks.
  • Abuse of multiple accounts.
  • Off-topic comments.

Comments may be checked for inappropriate content or rule violation, but the station is under no legal obligation to monitor or remove comments. If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator. 
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

  • by Bill Location: fla on Sep 8, 2007 at 09:59 AM
    Another case of the sex offender registry in the hands of morons. Hopefully this will also be handled as a hate crime. An innocent woman brutally murdered by these creeps. People worry about the sex offenders even though 90% of new sex crimes are committed by people not convicted of any sex crimes. Want proof? To catch a predator caught over 200 people in their sting and less than 2% were previosly convicted of a sex crime. That leaves 98% that you should start worrying about. The ones in your family or a friend of the family.

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2015 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 9642867 - local8now.com/a?a=9642867
Gray Television, Inc.