KNOX COUNTY, Tenn. (WVLT) - A Knox County family is out of their home after a fire broke out late Monday night.
Rural Metro crews responded to the around 11:20pm to a home on Stone Hollow Dr., off Strawberry Plains Pike.
Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke and flames coming from the attic area. The family made it out and was not injured.
They were awoken by smoke detectors and rushed out.
A lot of fires this time of year are caused by space heaters, but officials say that appears not to be the case.
"[It's a] new home, no need for space heaters, especially since it wasn't that cold," said Rural Metro Batallion Chief Jerome Rood. "Obviously, when it does get very cold and folks start bringing additional heaters or space heaters out, many times those are the cause. but in this case I don't believe that at all."
Investigators are working to determine the cause.
The inside suffered major damage, but the chief says it's not a total loss.
Crews were able to remove some personal items from the home.