NORTH KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) One area church has some cleaning up and repairs to do after fire damages one of it's buildings-- it's former home.
Investigators with the Knoxville Fire Department say the fire broke out in the attic around 6 p.m. on Tuesday. It was sparked by an electrical issue-- a problem that had been brewing for several weeks.
A member of a family that was having a party at the church across the street noticed heavy smoke coming from the steeple.
That family, and another group that was practicing music, were able to get out safely.
Investigators tell us that around 10 thousand dollars worth of damage was done. But, things could have been worse. Investigators credit a quick and aggressive response for keeping the flames from destroying the building.
Callahan Road Baptist still uses the building, but moved it's sanctuary to a newer building across the street a few year back.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.