KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT)- Knoxville firefighters not only dealt with the smoke and flames, but also with water issues and a collapsed chimney while battling a condo fire.
The fire broke out around 8:30 at a condo on Touraine Place, in West Knoxville. A neighbor spotted flames coming through the roof and called 911.
The building had four units, three were occupied with a total of four people living in the building. All were able to get out safely.
KFD Captain D.J. Corcoran says while firefighters were battling the blaze, the chimney partially fell through the roof right above where crews were standing. Part of the ceiling was able to prevent the chimney from landing on top of the firefighters.
According to Corcoran another issue was there was too little pressure and volume coming from the privately owned and maintained fire hydrants. Crews then had to ferry in water from outside of the community.
The fire did significant damage to the building.
No word yet on the cause. An arson investigator was on the scene.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.