Hamblen County meth lab shocks neighbors

HAMBLEN COUNTY, Tenn. (WVLT) An early morning explosion woke up residents in a rural Hamblen County neighborhood, but what they found was something they never expected.

The cause of the explosion was a meth lab being cooked inside an abandoned home on St. Paul Road. Neighbors say the house has been in shambles for several years, but they never expected that something like meth would be found so close to home.

"It's just weird," Carolyn Lockhart said.

Lockhart heard the sound of sirens driving past her home early Friday morning and thought maybe a house was on fire. When she drove past to see what was going on, she only saw a small amount of smoke coming from the back part of the house.

"But when I went past it (the home), I thought there were way too many firetrucks there for a little house fire," Lockhart said.

A news release from the Hamblen County Sheriff's Office said that one firefighter was taken to a hospital as a precaution for inhaling some of the smoke from the explosion before it was realized it was a meth lab.

The news release also said that investigators do not have any suspects at this time.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:


6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2015 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 237699041 - local8now.com/a?a=237699041
Gray Television, Inc.