RIDGEWOOD, N.J. (CBSNewYork) – It was a single phone call that made the difference between life and death.
The caller was a 5-year-old New Jersey girl. The child dialed 911 after her mother began choking and couldn’t speak, CBS 2’s Vanessa Murdock reported Wednesday.
Chloe Olson did the remarkable.
“Because it was an emergency,” she said Thursday.
Her mother, Kerry Olson, was choking on chip on Tuesday inside the family’s house in Ridgewood.
“I must have covered my windpipe. I was choking and coughing but mostly I couldn’t get any air,” Kerry Olson said.
“I heard her coughing,” Chloe added.
That’s when she picked up the phone and dialed 911:
911 dispatcher: “Where’s your emergency… Hello?”
Chloe: “Daddy? Hello? Daddy, mommy’s choking.”
Dispatcher: “She’s choking?”
Chloe: “Yes, she can’t talk right now.”
Dispatcher: “Okay, she can’t talk?”
Dispatcher: “Okay, can you open the front door and I’ll get help over to you?”
Dispatcher: “Alright, open the front door. I’ll be right there.”
Chloe: “Love you, bye.”
“She hung the phone and said ‘daddy’s on his way,’” Kerry Olson said.
And that makes this story even sweeter, the fact that Chloe knew to call 911 in an emergency, but she thought daddy would be on the other end to save the day.
Needless to say, Chloe’s father is one proud papa.
“She did a great job. I’m very happy,” Douglas Olson said.
Chloe’s parents say the Ridgewood fire and police departments deserve the credit for her perfect performance. During a school visit they introduced her to a very catchy YouTube tune called “911.”
“Don’t be scared, pick up the phone and call 911,” Chloe’s sister, 8-year-old Olivia said, singing the song.
When asked what she thought about her little sister calling 911, Olivia said, “Pretty impressive for a 5-year-old.
Even Chief of Police John Ward said he was impressed by Chloe’s 911 call.
“You could tell she was a little concerned and scared. She still knew enough to talk to the dispatchers, work it through,” Ward said.
Emergency crews arrived on scene within minutes. Thankfully, mom stopped choking before they got there. If she hadn’t, at 5 years old, Chloe would have truly saved the day.
The Ridgewood Police Department said it will the 911 call, adding Chloe may receive special recognition from the department for her smart, quick thinking.