KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- The Knox Co. Health Dept. plans to head back out to East Knoxville to spray for mosquitoes again on Thursday, July 11. Weather permitting, the scheduled follow up spraying will start around 9:00 a.m. Signs will be posted in affected areas.
Crews will spray between I-40 and Magnolia Ave, from N. Cherry Street to N. Beaman St. They will cover Lakeside and Kirkwood Streets and American Ave. as well. See attached map.
KCHD is asking everyone to stay inside during the spraying and to keep their pets either indoors or in their backyards.
To help protect themselves from mosquitoes and West Nile Virus, KCHD recommends people:
- Wear appropriate clothing and repellant when outside and mosquitoes are present;
- Disposes of, regularly empty or turn over any containers holding water on your property;
- Make sure roof gutters drain properly and water doesn’t pool in them;
- Change the water in birdbaths at least once a week; and
- Use a mosquito repellant that contains DEET (the chemical N-N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) and follow the directions on the label. Pregnant women and those who are concerned about using repellent products on children should consult their health care provider for advice.