KCHD advises all residents to:
• Wear appropriate clothing and repellant when outside and mosquitoes are present;
• Disposes of, regularly empty or turn over any containers holding water on your property;
• Make sure roof gutters drain properly and water doesn’t pool in them;
• Change the water in birdbaths at least once a week; and
• Use a mosquito repellant that contains DEET (the chemical N-N-diethyl-meta-toluamide) and follow the directions on the label. Pregnant women and those who are concerned about using repellent products on children should consult their health care provider for advice.
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- The Knox Co. Health Dept. plans to spray a section of south Knoxville on Thursday after confirming the presence of West Nile Virus in the South Chapman Highway area. This is the first time, it's found the virus in Knox Co. this year.
“To date, Knox County has had no confirmed cases of West Nile Virus in humans,” said KCHD Environmental Health Director Ronnie Nease. “By spraying to reduce the population of mosquitoes, we hope to reduce the potential of mosquito-to-human transmission.”
The health department will spray the area encompassed by Arthur Harmon Road, Crossfield Drive, Konda Drive, Karla Drive, Kimberlin Heights Road and Twin Leaf Lane. A map of the area to be treated is attached. Signs will be posted in the affected area.
The spraying will take place from 9:00 p.m. until midnight on Thursday, June 13. The health dept. is asking everyone to stay inside during those hours and keep their pets either indoors or in their backyards.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.