NEW YORK, NY--(WVLT/CNN)The New York City Marathon - scheduled for Sunday - was called off Friday due to lingering effects from Superstorm Sandy, the city's mayor said.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg had said earlier in the week the race would go on despite transportation, power and other issues. He said that businesses could use the economic boost the event provides.
"While holding the race would not require diverting resources from the recovery effort, it is clear that it has become the source of controversy and division," Bloomberg said Friday in a statement. "We would not want a cloud to hang over the race or its participants, and so we have decided to cancel it."
The first New York City Marathon was in 1970 and now attracts about 47,000 runners and 12,000 volunteers - not to mention an estimated 2.5 million spectators who annually line the course through the five boroughs.
While things are getting better, much of the city remains without power and public transit options remain limited.
While WVLT allows comments on articles, we ask that you respect the online community. Comments may be removed at any time for violations including:
Comments may be checked for inappropriate content or rule violation, but the station is under no legal obligation to monitor or remove comments. If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.