Officers find man spraying house fire with hose, help save woman inside

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- An early morning fire sent two people to the hospital early Wednesday morning, according to the Knoxville Fire Dept. Investigators determined the it was started near a wall socket in the front living room and ruled it an accident.

KPD officers responding to a disturbance call were the first to arrive at the home on Massachusetts Ave. shortly before 2:30 a.m. When they got there they found a man standing in his front yard spraying water from a garden hose onto his home. They immediately called in firefighters.

Officers then asked the man if anyone was still inside. When he said "yes," one of the officers rushed inside, while the other took over on the house. Right around that time, firefighters arrived and helped the officer get a woman to safety.

Two people had to be taken to UT Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation and other minor injuries, firefighters said.

Two large dogs were also pulled from the home and given oxygen by EMS personnel. Firefighters said they appear to be fine. A neighbor agreed to take them in.


Join the Conversation!

While WVLT allows comments on articles, we ask that you respect the online community. Comments may be removed at any time for violations including:

  • Obscenity, profanity, vulgarity, racism, violent descriptions, name-calling or personal attacks.
  • Abuse of multiple accounts.
  • Off-topic comments.

Comments may be checked for inappropriate content or rule violation, but the station is under no legal obligation to monitor or remove comments. If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator. 
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 208455091 - local8now.com/a?a=208455091
Gray Television, Inc.