FILE - In this Nov. 18, 2012 file photo, Justin Bieber accepts the award for favorite album - pop/rock for "Believe" at the 40th Anniversary American Music Awards, in Los Angeles. Bieber is one of several stars whose homes have been targeted by pranksters who place fake 911calls to try to draw out large police responses in a hoax known as swatting. The rash of calls against celebrities is taxing police resources and prompted two California lawmakers to propose stiffer penalties for convicted swatters. (Photo by John Shearer/Invision/AP, File)
LOS ANGELES (AP) — An appeals panel says California's anti-paparazzi statute appears to be constitutional based on a brief filed by prosecutors.
A preliminary statement by three judges in Los Angeles requires a judge who dismissed charges aimed at a paparazzo who authorities say was driving recklessly to review his order. The judge may stick to his ruling, which would trigger a full appeal, or he could schedule further arguments on the case against freelance photographer Paul Raef.
Raef was the first person charged under the new law after a high-speed chase involving Justin Bieber last year.
Superior Court Judge Thomas Rubinson dismissed two charges in November, ruling the law is too broad and is unconstitutional.
Raef's attorney David S. Kestenbaum says he is asking Rubinson to stand by his ruling and allow a full appeal.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.