In this photo provided by Holmes & Yang, the Holmes & Yang Fall 2013 collection is modeled during Fashion Week in New York on Thursday, Feb. 7, 2013. (AP Photo/Holmes & Yang)
NEW YORK (AP) — Katie Holmes and her business partner and stylist Jeanne Yang joined the New York Fashion Week frenzy last season with a show at Lincoln Center, only to leave it behind this time around.
It wasn't all the people, or even the paparazzi, that drove them away. It was their own clothes. Their look, which they describe as one of careful artistry and potential heritage pieces that women will keep a lifetime, is a little too quiet for all the splash, they said.
"We wanted to tell the full story behind the frivolity," said Yang, adding: "It's a quiet approach."
Holmes and Yang sat down at a hotel on the opposite side of Manhattan with a handful of fashion journalists on Thursday, the opening day of fashion week, to walk them personally through 15 looks Holmes called their favorites.
Katharine Hepburn's practical-yet-chic look of the 1940s, Donna Karan's use of the shoulders and back as erogenous zones, Halston's glamorous sportswear and Chanel's mastery of seaming and studs were all in their minds as they built the pieces and outfits.
"We're not trying to be trendy ... but we're trying to make high-quality pieces you'll wear over and over again," Holmes said.
Holmes was wearing an A-line shirtdress in the blue-and-black plaid that was dominant in the collection, while Yang wore one of the slouchy blazers that has become a key piece for the label, founded in 2009.
For fall, they'll offer a peplum top with a suede waist band and maxi skirt in the same plaid. Holmes suggested that outfit for a dinner out. Swap the shirt for a tank top for brunch and a blouse to go to the theater. Yang said she hoped a customer would "feel smart" in a white cashmere-silk boucle sweaterdress with a strip of white silk at the hem.
Holmes, meanwhile, was partial to the baggy suede caramel-colored pants that hit just above the ankle, worn with a bow-neck blouse in a deep shade of lipstick pink.
The duo made a point of noting that 70 percent of production of Holmes & Yang happens in New York and the other 30 percent in Los Angeles.
Follow Samantha Critchell on Twitter at http://twitter.com/AP_Fashion
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.