(WVLT) -- A local band is competing in an online contest.
The National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM) has announced that the Knoxville band "Ergo We Play" is competing in the online round of the 2011-2012 SchoolJam USA teen battle of the bands competition.
They will be featured along with teen bands from across the United States at www.schooljamusa.com, where people from the general public are encouraged to vote for their favorite band everyday. Online voting will run through November 30th.
The nationwide contest, sponsored by NAMM, is designed to encourage teen bands across the United States to demonstrate their musical talents and enjoy the many proven benefits of making music.
“Ergo We Play”, whose members are only 16 and 17 years old, are juniors and a senior at Farragut and Rhea County High Schools. They pride themselves on creating and playing original material. “Our hope if we make it to the finals is to use the prize money to expand our school’s non-traditional open mic night programs, giving a voice, venue and forum to undiscovered talent”.
If they win one of the final spots, they get to play live at Downtown Disney in California. They also get prize money to help them purchase more musical equipment and instruments for their band. They also get additional funding for their schools' music programs.
In order for the band to make it to the finals…they need your help. Starting November 1st, they are requesting you to go to the web site www.schooljamusa.com and register, and then vote for “Ergo We Play” every day for the entire month of November. Only 8 bands will be selected to go to the finals in California, and 40% of a band’s score is public vote with the remaining 60% by industry judges.
SchoolJam is an established music initiative, originally developed by MusikMedia Germany to promote popular and rock music in schools throughout Germany. The program has provided thousands of music-loving young adults with the opportunity to perform and network with their peers, increasing their love for playing music and encouraging them to become active musicians.