** FILE ** In this undated publicity photo released by Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM, director George Lucas directs actor Anthony Daniels, who plays the robot C-3PO, in "Star Wars II: Attack of the Clones," on location in the Tunisian desert. Lucasfilm said in a statement Monday, Jan. 28, 2013, that it's postponing the scheduled fall 3-D releases of �Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones� and �Episode III - Revenge of the Sith� to instead focus its efforts on �Star Wars: Episode VII.� (AP Photo/Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM, Lisa Tomasetti, file)
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The force isn't with the 3-D versions of the "Star Wars" prequels.
Lucasfilm said in a statement Monday that it's postponing the scheduled 3-D releases of "Star Wars: Episode II — Attack Of The Clones" and "Episode III — Revenge of the Sith" this fall to instead focus its efforts on "Star Wars: Episode VII."
The Walt Disney Co. confirmed Friday that J.J. Abrams, creator of the TV series "Lost" and director of 2009's "Star Trek" movie, will direct the seventh installment of the franchise, set for a 2014 release.
Disney bought "Star Wars" maker Lucasfilm last month for $4.06 billion.
"Episode I — The Phantom Menace" was released in 3-D last February and earned $22.4 million domestically its opening weekend.
The original prequels were released from 1999 to 2005.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.