Oak Ridge, Anderson County (WVLT) - An adverse chemical reaction at the Oak Ridge National Laboratory has caused the evacuation of a building.
According to the Lab, a lab worker was pouring nitric acid into a glass container of a copper solution. The chemical reaction caused the container to burst.
The accident occurred around 3:00 p.m. Tuesday afternoon in Building 4500S and an Operational Emergency was declared.
One lab worker was working in the area where the accident occurred, but was not injured.
The building's ventilation system was able to remove the fumes associated the incident, but the building was evacuated as a precaution.
Crews are working to clean up the laboratory.
According to ORNL, the incident is confined to the laboratory in Building 4500S and the surrounding area was never in any danger.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.