Louisville, KY (AP) -- Kentucky authorities say a burning cigarette looks like the cause of a house fire that killed ten people earlier this month.
A Deputy Fire Marshall says the cigarette was left burning near a chair in the Bardstown, Kentucky, home. Rob Goodwin calls it the "hot energy source" from which the blaze grew.
Four adults and six children in an extended family all died from smoke inhalation. One person survived with non-life-threatening injuries.
Fire officials estimate the cigarette burned for about 40 minutes before anybody noticed. It produced toxic smoke, and the fire eventually spread to the furniture and walls before engulfing the house.
Goodwin says it appears the victims tried to escape. But he says it only takes a couple of breaths of the toxic smoke for a person to become dizzy and disoriented.
Copyright 2007 by the Associated Press. All rights reserved.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.