NEWPORT, Tenn. (WVLT) -- It's been a busy few days for firefighters in Cocke county and one of the fires has been ruled suspicious.
Firefighters say heating your home can be dangerous. The county's had 5 fire calls since the weekend.
One fire near Newport was a result of a man trying to keep his chickens warm. Firefighters say a heat lamp knocked over and the fire spread from the chicken pin to his house.
Other fires are from chimneys. Firefighters say this has been a problem because people haven't cleaned the chimney's as they should have.
"You've got to work them so hard t his time of year, your chimney's if you burn wood or coal or anything like that you're really really, having to stoke them up to keep your house warm and that's usually when it happens," said Chief William Smallwood, Cocke County Fire.
Firefighters say a suspicious fire happened at a home on Manning Chapel Road. That's because no one was living there at the time.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.