Couple escapes north Knoxville fire unharmed

KNOXVILLE, Tenn (WVLT) Firefighters say a north Knoxville couple is lucky they weren't injured after a fire early Thursday morning.

Around 5:40 a.m., crews responded to a house in the 5800 block of Sanford Rd.

They spotted flames in the ceiling and attic, near the chimney.

The husband and wife made it out safely.

Crews had the fire out within 15-minutes. But officials say it could have been a lot worse because the home did not have smoke alarms.

The Knoxville Fire Department reminds people to have their home inspected by a qualified chimney sweep before using a fireplace this winter.

KFD offers smoke alarms free of charge. Just call 595-4672.


Join the Conversation!

To comment, the following rules must be followed:

  • No Obscenity, Profanity, Vulgarity, Racism or Violent Descriptions
  • No Negative Community Comparisons
  • No Fighting, Name-calling, or Personal Attacks
  • Multiple Accounts are Not Allowed
  • Stay on Story Topic

Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to webmaster@wvlt-tv.com. Please provide detailed information.

powered by Disqus

WVLT VOLUNTEER TV

6450 Papermill Drive Knoxville, TN 37919 Phone - (865) 450-8888; Fax - (865) 450-8869
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2014 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 179461191