KNOXVILLE, Tenn (WVLT) Firefighters say a north Knoxville couple is lucky they weren't injured after a fire early Thursday morning.
Around 5:40 a.m., crews responded to a house in the 5800 block of Sanford Rd.
They spotted flames in the ceiling and attic, near the chimney.
The husband and wife made it out safely.
Crews had the fire out within 15-minutes. But officials say it could have been a lot worse because the home did not have smoke alarms.
The Knoxville Fire Department reminds people to have their home inspected by a qualified chimney sweep before using a fireplace this winter.
KFD offers smoke alarms free of charge. Just call 595-4672.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.