Dandridge was named as a number one destination for life on the water. (Source: Kyle Grainger, WVLT)
DANDRIDGE, Tenn. (WVLT) -- Dandridge has been named the Best Little Town on the Water by Life on the Water magazine.
"We love the recognition and gets the word out and lets people know what we have to offer and we hope people will come visit us," said Adele Sensing, Director of Tourism in Dandridge. "People love to come out here and pontoon boat and jet ski Just get out with the family get out on the wtaer and relax and enjoy themselves."
The magazine says Dandridge was selected because of the beauty, fishing, and how the towns people rally behind the town.
Many years ago the town pushed to build a dyke that saved the historic town from flooding.
"Waters from Douglas Lake would have filled where the historic downtown is now," said Bryan McCarter, Dandridge City Administrator. "Rumor has it that water mark would have been to the 4th step of the courthouse is where that water would be and Dandridge wouldn't be what it is today."
Now Dandridge hopes this recognition leads to more people visiting the area and discovering what the area has to offer.
"Focusing on trying to attract that tourism aspect taht we feel is the future of our economic diversity and prosperity here in this area," said McCarter.
This was the Top 10 list from from 4147 readers that voted:
1. Dandridge, Tennessee on Douglas Lake
2. Rogersville, Alabama on Wheeler Lake, Tennessee River
3. Guntersville, Alabama on Lake Guntersville, Tennessee River
4. Ocean Springs, Mississippi on the Gulf of Mexico
5. Grand Rivers, Kentucky on Barkley Lake, Cumberland River
6. Clifton, Tennessee on Kentucky Lake, Tennessee River
7. Aberdeen, Mississippi on the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway
8. Clarksville, Tennessee on Lake Barkley, Cumberland River
9. Columbus, Mississippi on the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway
10. Buford, Georgia on Lake Lanier
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.