KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT)- Knoxville firefighters not only dealt with the smoke and flames, but also with water issues and a collapsed chimney while battling a condo fire.
The fire broke out around 8:30 at a condo on Touraine Place, in West Knoxville. A neighbor spotted flames coming through the roof and called 911.
The building had four units, three were occupied with a total of four people living in the building. All were able to get out safely.
KFD Captain D.J. Corcoran says while firefighters were battling the blaze, the chimney partially fell through the roof right above where crews were standing. Part of the ceiling was able to prevent the chimney from landing on top of the firefighters.
According to Corcoran another issue was there was too little pressure and volume coming from the privately owned and maintained fire hydrants. Crews then had to ferry in water from outside of the community.
The fire did significant damage to the building.
No word yet on the cause. An arson investigator was on the scene.