KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (WVLT) - The Knoxville Fire Department responded to a fire on Fair Drive early Saturday morning after a man says his propane heater ignited in flames.
The man was trying to light the portable heater and told firefighters he may have cross threaded the propane cylinder, allowing gas to fill the room.
Firefighters say the house was significantly damaged and the living room gutted. The man plans to stay with family members for now.
The man drove himself to the hospital with first degree burns on his face and arms.
KFD reminds to always use caution when operating any portable/alternative heat such as propane or kerosene, making sure to follow the manufactures suggestions.
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.