NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- A Vanderbilt student was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis and is in stable condition after she was rushed from her dorm room with a severe headache and a high fever.
University officials said tests confirmed 21-year-old Sun In Kim of Rossville, Ga., had meningococcal bacterial meningitis, which is more dangerous than the viral form of the disease.
Up to 12 students and other people who had immediate contact with her were treated with an antibiotic to reduce the chance of transmission.
Bacterial meningitis is an infection of fluid in the spinal cord and brain. High fever, headache, and stiff neck are common symptoms that can start within hours or days of contracting the disease.
(Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.