NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Health officials are investigating a suspected fatal case of meningitis after a 10-year-old Nashville girl died.
Metro Health Department spokesman Brian Todd said the Margaret Allen Middle School student was pronounced dead after arriving at Vanderbilt University Medical Center around 4 a.m. Wednesday.
Police identified the girl as Keameria Scruggs of Antioch.
Bacterial meningitis is an infection of fluid in the spinal cord and brain. High fever, headache, and stiff neck are common symptoms.
Todd said it's highly unlikely that other students who were infected, but the infection can spread through saliva-sharing contact.
Information from: The Tennessean, http://www.tennessean.com
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.