BEIJING (AP) -- A Chinese veterinarian says some 1,500 dogs have died after eating feed tainted with melamine. That's the same industrial chemical that's contaminated dairy products and sickened tens of thousands of babies across China.
The veterinarian says all the dogs died on farms in one village. The animals are a breed known as raccoon dogs. They're raised for their fur, which is used to make trim on coats and other clothing.
The veterinarian says he examined about a dozen dogs and determined that they died of kidney failure. He says melamine was found in the feed and about 25 percent of the stones found in the dogs' kidneys were made of melamine.
In the milk scandal, the chemical was said to have been added to the watered-down milk to make it appear higher in protein. It can cause kidney stones and eventually kidney failure in humans too.
Today's news about the dogs is raising questions about the extent of the chemical's presence in China's food chain.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.