Parents, student react to student's arrest for bringing gun to school in Sevier County

By: Lorena Estrada Email
By: Lorena Estrada Email

SEVIER COUNTY, Tenn. (WVLT)-- Sevier County Sheriff's Office arrested a 14-year-old Northview Middle School student for bringing a handgun to school this morning.

Deputies said a staff member at the school heard that a student had a gun Monday morning and alerted the school's resource officer.

That's when the resource officer found a semi-automatic 9mm handgun in the student's backpack, which was in the student's locker.

The news shocked parents after school today.

"That's scary some scary news to hear when you first pick him up," said Jason Nelson who once attended Northview Middle School. "It's hard to believe. I would have never pictured that happening here."

"I don't understand how a parent wouldn't know their kid walked out with a gun," Carla Nelson said. " I don't understand that at all."

Their son Austin Nelson is a 7th grade student at Northview. He said he could only think of two reasons why the teen would bring a gun to school.

"Probably to hurt someone or to show someone the gun," Austin said.

Sevier County Sheriff's Department doesn't know the motive yet. Sheriff Ron Seals said the weapon was not loaded, but the ammo magazine loaded with ammo was inside the bookbag. They also found a small amount of marijuana.

Police charged the student with one county of possession of a firearm and drug possession. They're still looking at why the student brought the gun to school. Now the student is at the Sevier County Juvenile Facility pending a hearing.

Join the Conversation!

While WVLT allows comments on articles, we ask that you respect the online community. Comments may be removed at any time for violations including:

• Obscenity, profanity, vulgarity, racism, violent descriptions, name-calling or personal attacks.
  • Abuse of multiple accounts.
  • Off-topic comments.

Comments may be checked for inappropriate content or rule violation, but the station is under no legal obligation to monitor or remove comments. If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.

• by worried Location: sevier on Mar 11, 2011 at 03:45 PM
    I agree and disagree w/ parent involvement being a big factor. Yes they should know as much as possible and be as involved as possible but due to the economy and other circumstances, It's not always possible to be around 24/7 nowadays the other children and a different world then we had in general have playing roles as well. With that said, I had to choose between Knox schools and sevier schools and chose sevier co because I thought it safer. Now I'm questioning my decision. I always thought uniforms and metal detectors were a violation when I was in school but now as an adult, I think it has come to where it may be needed. I don't think an occasional drug dog would hurt either.
  • by joe Location: sevierville on Mar 8, 2011 at 01:00 AM
    I would like to hear comment from this child's parents concerning this violation of law.
  • by Angela Location: Sevierville on Mar 7, 2011 at 10:54 PM
    I cannot believe this story barely made the news. It is a miracle that innocent children did not die today. The article states that Police are looking into why the student brought a gun & ammo to school. Why do you think a child would do that? Any reason he could have, could not be a good reason. I am shocked and horrified at the thought that my child and all the other children could have been victims today. I hope the Parents of this child will be held equally responsible for this event. I was also very upset that I didn't hear about this incident until a member of the Boys & Girls Club staff informed me of it. What does Northview Middle School plan to do to prevent this in the future? The children already have to wear their shirts tucked in & now they are not allowed to wear coats. What are the plans to protect our children?
  • by Curious Location: TN on Mar 7, 2011 at 06:10 PM
    I think with a kid of that age carrying a weapon like that....they need to post his name and what area he lives in. If it is a neighbor of any of us, I think we have the right to know what is living near us.
  • by JC Mauro Location: Kodak on Mar 7, 2011 at 04:40 PM
    I am a Sevier County resident, and business owner and I am totally disgusted with the school & lack of policy enforcement. ALL students are suppossed to have clear or mesh backpacks.There is also a dress code that is suppossed to be followed. NVM School nor the elementary enforces this. I've got 2 kids in this school in 5th grade. We moved here in hopes of having a safer environment for our children. Last week a 5th grader got a pint of vodka in the school with some other kind of medication. It starts at home with parent supervision and envolment, but you bet I'll be at the next PTO and Board meeting!!!!!
      by theemperorhasnoclothes on Mar 27, 2011 at 12:21 PM in reply to JC Mauro
      I personally know JC - if you had any idea the language & verbal abuse they use in their house with their 2 dear children, they'd be yanked so far from the area it would make your head spin! People in glass houses...

Copyright © 2015 WVLT-TV Inc. - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 117538868 -