LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) -- A woman has died after a fire broke out as power was being restored to her home following last week's windstorm.
Louisville Fire & Rescue arson squad spokesman Maj. Henry Ott told The Courier-Journal that investigators concluded a towel near the kitchen stove caught fire when the woman's electrical service was restored around 10 p.m. Saturday. Deputy Jefferson County Coroner Jack Arnold says 88-year-old Ruth Alexander died of smoke inhalation. Arnold says according to a neighbor the fire broke out just after the electricity came back on.
Louisville Gas & Electric reported fewer than 15,000 customers without power Monday morning, more than a week after remnants of Hurricane Ike pummeled the area. At the peak after the Sept. 14 storm, more than 300,000 LG&E customers were in the dark.
The Public Service Commission said late Sunday that no other county in the state had more than 750 people without power.
Meanwhile, schools in Jefferson County had reopened Monday after being closed last week.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to email@example.com. Please provide detailed information.