WASHINGTON (AP) -- Defense Secretary Robert Gates says that up to three more combat brigades could be available to go to Afghanistan beginning next spring, in answer to repeated calls from commanders for more troops.
Gates told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Tuesday that more forces can't be committed now without extending combat tours or changing troop deployments. But, in response to prodding from Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Carl Levin, D-Mich., he said they probably could go in the spring and summer of 2009.
Last week the senior U.S. general in Afghanistan said he needs at least 10,000 more ground troops, beyond the 3,700 Army soldiers due early next year.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
To comment, the following rules must be followed:
Comments may be monitored for inappropriate content, but the station is under no legal obligation to do so.
If you believe a comment violates the above rules, please use the Flagging Tool to alert a Moderator.
Flagging does not guarantee removal.
Multiple violations may result in account suspension.
Decisions to suspend or unsuspend accounts are made by Station Moderators.
Links require admin approval before posting.
Questions may be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide detailed information.